Apart from fruits and leaves they eat also lizards, birds and eggs.They eat fruit and leaves, as do the acrobatic spider monkeys, while the capuchins and squirrel monkeys enjoy a wider diet including everything from fruits to insects and lizards.
These are all some of the fruits that the monkeys in Costa Rica eat
- Mamon’ chino, an exotic looking red, spiny fruit with succulent white flesh inside that you suck off a large seed
- aranon, the colorful cashew fruit or cashew apple, has the kidney shaped cashew nut inside. The fruit is bright scarlet and pear shaped with delectable soft, sharply flavored flesh.
- Guava or guayaba is a thin skinned, lemon-like fruit rich in vitamins A, C, iron and calcium.
- Mango or manga, the mango is the male fruit which is greener, smaller and harder than the female manga, which is more yellow with orange pulp.
- Mombin or jocote is a dark green to red-skinned juicy fruit which has a spicy flavor. Its wild yellow-skinned cousin is called the hogplum.
- Mountain apple or manzana de agua, has crisp white flesh and a pinkish skin, tastes similar to an apple.
- Manzana rosa or the rose apple tastes like an apple but is rose perfumed.
- Palm fruit or pejibaye is a small coconut that grows in a cluster among the fronds of the pejibaye palm tree.
- Papaya or pawpaw has 45 varieties that grow in the tropics and this bland fruit may be yellow, green or orange-skinned.
- Soursap or guanabana is a prickly kidney-shaped fruit which is a relative of the custard apple.
- Starfruit or carambola has a pale yellow skin and very juicy white flesh.
- Chiverre is a large green and white striped fruit which resembles a squash and is a member of the pumpkin family.
- Bananas in many varieties grow in the tropics, including those which taste like apple, lemon or strawberry.
- Mamey has juicy yellow fruit.
- Pina anona looks like an ear of corn without the husk and tastes like pineapple.
- Zapote colorado has brown skin, red puckery fruit like the persimmon.